Aug 8, 2011

monday musings: in which i share things that inspire me.

In an effort to whip this blog into shape, I've decided to throw in posts about the various things that inspire me: passages of poetry, music and art. Everyone needs to share a little beauty every once in a while, no?

For this installment I've decided to share some poetry. I've always been rather picky about poetry. Some of it I'm purely amazed and enraptured by. Other lines make no sense. One of my favorite poets of all time is T.S. Eliot. He has a way of capturing emotion with such perfect words. I have several favorite poems of his, but today I'll share with you the final passage of "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock."



I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
When the wind blows the water white and black.

We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
TIll human voices wake us, and we drown.

No comments:

Post a Comment